Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Siena Saints Repeat MAAC Championship

THE SAINTS WIN BACK TO BACK TITLES AND ARE GOING DANCIN' BITCHES!!!!!!WOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOO!!!!!



Sorry, I got a little carried away. Last night the Siena Saints (from Loudonville, NY, my home town) beat Niagara for the MAAC Championship, the second of back to back championships for Siena. I had the pleasure of attending this contest, and had some pretty good seats, lower level row A.
(Sorry for the shitty pics, my camera is broke so these are from my phone.)

I am not going to lie, I was pretty drunk but I will give you a brief recap. Basically Niagara shot a ton of 3s, which they aren't very good at (9-37 or 24%), but got a lot of offensive boards as a result. Once Siena realized that they should just keep pounding the ball into the post, there wasn't much Niagara could do. The main thing was Siena's defense. The Saints were running a 3/4 court press for much of the game. When they started doing this ten minutes into the first half they were down by about 12. At half time it was tied, and they ended up winning by 7.

Now the Siena student section emptied into the isles with about 3 minutes left and were getting ready to rush the court (which is real classy when you are the #1 seed playing on your home court). At this point, I start thinking the following...I am 24 and am creeping near or am already at the age where it is not socially acceptable to rush the court. This and I am wasted, so I rushed the court and took some photos for verification.

(You thought ODB was dead? Thanks to Ed taking my pic.)

(Yaayyyy!!! For the record, I did not go to Siena, but I have lived about a mile away for 24 years and I was a monster (got my ass kicked) at Siena basketball camp for from 4th-8th grade.)

Now, I think Siena is probably going to get a 10 seed in the NCAA Tournament but could possibly get as high (or low? whatever, fuck off) as a 9 seed. They have had a pretty tough out of conference schedule and are #21 in the RPI. They also have tourney experience. Just ask last year's #4 seed Vanderbilt (and their queer square arena). But I hate all the speculation about rankings that is all over the webs so I am stopping there.

I will say this, if your team is playing Siena in round, you should be nervous.



(Unless they play Syracuse in which case Siena will be on the receiving end of some major pwnage.)

Finally I would like to congratulate John Nolan of Cornell for rushing his first court ever and for eating at Golden Fried Chicken (ghetto chicken joint in downtown Albany) all in one night.

1 comment: