I hope you folks don't mind a little self-congratulatory navel-gazing, but I wanted to take a quick moment to acknowledge the fact that the post on Johnny Damon that went up earlier today was the 1,000th to appear on this site.
The very first post came back in the beginning of last October when for some reason, I decided to reserve this domain name and write down a half baked argument for rooting for Red Sox over the Rays in the upcoming ALCS. I didn't bother telling anyone about the site, or writing anything else until over two and a half months later. On Christmas Day, on the heels of the acquisition of Mark Teixeira, I had some more thoughts ruminating and kicked up a 1,000 word post on the implications of the signing.
I followed that with an email entitled "The Fack Youk Manifesto" to a couple of my friends that said, in part:
I realize that there is like an 85% chance that this never really goes anywhere, then dies a slow death from neglect, but there's that 15% that we can carve out this little space for our thoughts, all contribute and make it interesting/entertaining enough for some other people to check it out. I talk enough sports with you guys and hear interesting stuff worthy of a blog post and it makes me think that we could put that stuff to use and concentrate it here.
It's taken a ridiculous amount of time and commitment to keep a steady stream of content flowing into the site, but I'm quite proud that we've established a readership and have a little niche that people seem to enjoy stopping by. We're getting close to 80,000 unique visitors since we started using Google Analytics and even if there is some double counting going on, that still seems like a lot.
Thanks specifically to people like Jason at IIATM,S, Joe at River Ave. Blues, Ross at New Stadium Insider, Craig at Shysterball, Peter Abraham, Tim at The Sports Hernia in addition to Deadspin, With Leather, Big League Stew, Awful Announcing, The Big Lead, BBTF, Jorge Says No!, and countless others who have linked to the site over the past 8 months. Without links from other blogs, it's basically impossible to develop a readership, so the recommendations are much appreciated.
Anyway, if you are new to the site, here are some of Fack Youk's greatest hits from days and months gone by in case you missed them:
Hopefully these 1,001 posts are only the tip of the iceberg. Stay tuned.
- The Many (Awkward) Faces Of Alex Rodriguez
- An Avalanche Falls On Notre Dame
- The Chronicles Of Doris: Parts I, II, & III
- Mets To Play 2009 Season At Javits Center
- Look At It, Dave!
- Because You Can't Put Blogs On Your Bookshelf
- Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad
- The Extreme Beer Festival Diaries
- No More Max Kellerman? Um, WHAT?
- The Great Divider(s)
- He Also Picked Mickey Rourke