Update 12:53: For tonight, I'm just a fan. Matt will be here in a second with his take. There will be plenty of time to recap tomorrow. Just some quick thoughts:
- Congrats to Hideki Matsui. With the three separate 2 RBI hits he had tonight - a homer, single and a double - tied the record for most RBIs in a World Series game previously in possession of Bobby Richardson (Game 3 in 1960) and supplanted his legacy with an incredible effort in the biggest game of his MLB career.
- How appropriate that Mariano Rivera (with the greatest non-save of his career), Derek Jeter (with three hits and two runs scored) and Andy Pettitte (benefactor of the official decision) all played major roles in the clinching victory.
- How about Damaso Marte, who threw six pitches and got two strikeouts against the Phillies' 3 & 4 hittters?
- Sorry to Mike Mussina who found the worst possible 8 years to be a Yankee. (h/t Mike)
- And last but not certainly least, good for A-Rod. He carried the Yanks to the World Series and made his hits count when they got there.
Thanks a lot for reading this season. Feel free to commiserate in the comments.