Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Get Back To Me In 2016

You know it's bad when PeteAbe starts stirring the pot, but this is just incorrect:
$423.5 million doesn’t buy what it used to

After 70 games in 2008: 37-33, six games out of first.
After 70 games in 2009: 38-32, five games out of first.
So by that logic, after these 70 games, the Yankees will have spent nothing, correct? Or are we just going to use that $423.5M figure ad infinitum? Nevermind the fact that the Yankees' payroll is actually lower than it was last year by about $8M.

The amount of money the Yankees will spend this year on CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira and A.J. Burnett is $54.5M. So for the first 70 games of the season, the Yankees have spent $23.5M on those players. I guess that seems like a lot, but unlike last year they've also spent a grand total of nothing on Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu, Kyle Farnsworth, Carl Pavano and Mike Mussina.

I understand the temptation to add up contracts that account for t-w-e-n-t-y player seasons and act like somehow the Yankees have already spend that money over just 43% of one season. But that's no better than something Wallace Matthews would write. Sorry Pete, but I expect more from you.

The LoHud of the Rings also took two shots at his favorite target, A-Rod, last night. From the post linked above:
This comment from A-Rod should cheer you up:
A-Rod said his swings are getting more aggressive. Well that’s good.
“I’ve got to take it one day at time. I certainly don’t think it’s going to be a bad year. I think I’m going to do a lot of good things to help the team win. I have complete certainly I’m going to do a fine job.”

Well, complete certainty. You can’t ask for much more than that. As your[sic] his slump, maybe it’s October on the Kabbalah calendar. Somebody needs to check that out.
He's never had a bad season in his career, what do you want the guy to say: "I'm absolutely horrible, I have no idea whether I will ever break out of this funk, and I'm not sure if the team will ever recover"? Personally, I don't have a problem with athletes being optimistic.

3 comments:

  1. It's annoying to hear Pete constantly bag on A-Rod. I love how these writers claim to have no rooting interests but have no problem trashing their least favorite players (A-Rod) or praising "their guys" (Giambi when he was still around). That entry last night belongs on a blog for the Post or Daily News. For shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is sick. The first one I go to now for Yankee coverage.

    "He's never had a bad season in his career, what do you want the guy to say: "I'm absolutely horrible, I have no idea whether I will ever break out of this funk, and I'm not sure if the team will ever recover"? Personally, I don't have a problem with athletes being optimistic."

    Finally someone who isn't spiraling into pessimistic hopelessness.

    Plus i like how all the pics are in b&w. this is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anon
    Pete does seem to be a bit more cantankerous this year. Maybe it has something to do with the level of insanity in the comment section of his blog. I can only imagine the garbage that guy gets in his inbox.

    Despite the more frequent pot shots at the team and commenters alike, the guy is still an invaluable resource to the fans. And he's been nice enough to link to us a few times.

    @CYC

    Thanks for the kind words. The numbers always end up there for ARod, but it is extremely frustrating to watch him go into these seemingly bottomless slumps a few times per year.

    I'm a little more forgiving this year given his surgery and the way Girardi abused him upon his return. But I can understand the concern given the years and dollars the Yanks still have committed to the ARod circus.

    ReplyDelete